alright, time for the good stuff i suppose.
i realized that i live to blog. the entire 3 days i was away i kept thinking, i need to blog this, i need to blog that. how sad. eric didn’t bring his laptop or i would have. ah well, i’m home now. time for the great christmas in michigan story. sadly, being the first xmas i can blog, it was a rather uneventful one as far as michigan goes…but we’ll see what stuff i can dig up to talk about.
so we left for michigan around 11 on sunday morning. takes about 5 hours to get to warren, so i guess we got there around 3, whatever. we anticipated problems at the borders due to all that’s happened, but there was no problems at all. going back into the states in port huron they asked for birth certificates and/or passport and license. well my dad has no birth certificate (yeah cuz he was never born), so i had to dig in the back to find his passport, which i never did. and my passport is expired but they didn’t seem to care and let us go.
when we got to my grandparents house aunt carol and eric were there. as soon as i walked in the door i left with them to the drug store. lol. so my grandpa had an absess tooth. he’d had it for over a week and didn’t go to the doctor or anything, his entire half a face was swollen and he was in pain. and his heart is basically completely dead, so he could have died if the infection went to his heart. but whatever, my mom found out before we left to detroit and freaked out, and made her brother call people to get him antibiotics. i guess they finally contacted some doctor cousin who wrote him a prescription. but you might think that an absess tooth and swollen half a face would stop him from talking? wrong. he talked more than ever, if that is even possible.
well that night, carol and eric left at like 8, leaving me to suffer for the rest of the night. and i’m not a lil kid anymore, i can’t go to bed at 9. i have to wait til at least 11. lol. well i ended up having a really big headache that felt like someone was throwing a javelin through my brain, so i kinda got off with not being forced to converse as much as usual. well i went to bed, and again, like last year, i slept in my coat. my room was FRIGID. i swear, it was like 40 degrees in there. i didn’t want to put my coat on cuz it’s wool and the neck is pinchy. so i “slept” most of the night in my pjs and the shitty blanket on the bed. well i got up to use the bathroom at 7, and as soon as i opened my door it was like a 40 degree temp difference. so i grabbed my pillows and went to sleep on the couch. well my grandma was awake, and wouldn’t let me sleep on the couch?!?! she made me go back in my room and gave me another afghan…yeah that helped :P. that’s when i put the coat on, and actually got to sleep for 5 hours or so.
so xmas eve….most of the day i escaped to the other room and read. carol and eric came by in the afternoon, and we had dinner. uncle ed showed up later. we did the gift thing. since eric is one of the VP’s of Lands End we all got stuff from them. they got me this really nice coat. but anyway. they all left later and i went to bed. my dad opened the heating duct this time for me (you have to do it in the basement, it’s not normal) so i slept. yay. it wasn’t completely warm, but it was warm enough i didn’t need my coat that night LOL.
christmas day, packed up and went to aunt mariannes for brunch. we had to leave early (4:30) to drive back home, so we didn’t do the normal dinner, stay all night thing there. did the gift thing with them. my cousins, who came around 3 like normal for dinner, didn’t get me anything for xmas this year. not like i really care, but they usually do. and they are usually my source of media play gift certificates, or cds that i actually asked for. no luck this year, whatever. so we left there around 4:30 to head back, since we heard about all the snow back home, and didn’t want to get stuck driving for 12 hours in blizzards (which we’ve had to do before)…
but anyway, like i said, there was nothing highly exciting this weekend. but i wrote down a few gems.
1. the box pictures. so as i said, eric is a VP of lands end…so he shipped all the gifts to my grandparents house in lands end boxes…well my grandpa…he’s obsessive compulsive about taking pictures. and he’s all crippled now so he can’t really do it that great himself anymore. so he makes my dad do it. so my grandpa is sitting in his chair in the kitchen/family room shouting orders to my dad in the living room about what kind of picture to take. he wanted a picture of carol and eric each holding a land’s end box. so i’m sitting on the couch in the living room, and the 3 of them (dad, carol, eric) are laughing at the situation. well 1 of the boxes had already been broken down, and eric is trying to tell my grandpa that. so grandpa starts yelling to fold it into box shape, and eric is folding it wrong so then grandpa is yelling at eric to fold it into a goddamn box shape. well eric just ignored him, and used the box that was still intact. so my aunt and eric are holding the box inbetween them, and grandpa is yelling from the other room to my dad to make sure there’s a nice background, etc. lol. i’m sitting on the couch laughing still. so my dad takes the picture of them holding the box LOL. but then, that’s not all. grandpa starts yelling his orders for carol to sit on the box, and cross her legs and look sexy. LOL. so we’re all laughing, and carol is like “i can’t sit on the box, it’ll collapse” (since it’s empty) and he’s shouting “sit on the goddamn box, and cross your legs”. so she sits on the box and falls in and my dad takes the picture. it’ll be great!
2. some of these don’t seem so odd/funny unless you know my grandpa. but he never shuts up, he’s really ignorant and rude. anyway. so we’re sitting around the table after dinner or something, and in the middle of someone else’s conversation he starts yelling (cuz he can’t just talk) at carol about how he can still see her riding up and down the street on her banana seat bike, wearing her halter top… and he said “you didn’t have any titties but you had your halter on” LOL (yes i wrote down the quote). that was really mild compared to what he was talking about last christmas. he got on this big kick about talking about sex, and tits and stuff….it was revolting.
3. normally i hear the same stories everytime we visit…but it’s always the same stories from my grandma, and the same stories from my grandpa…but they are different stories from each other. but not this year. this year, i was in the living room with my mom and grandma and she started in on her same 2 stories. my mom was little, and was playing outside. she started knocking on the door to be let inside, and my grandma says *singing* “who’s that knocking on my door?”…and my mom replies “i’m is.” followed by cackling laughter from my grandma. i’m sorry but the 200th time hearing that story it isn’t really funny anymore, if it ever was. and then she followed that story up with the one about my mom playing in the sandbox outside, and running inside and the flys were following her – cuz she shit her pants. well an hour later we’re in the kitchen/family room and my grandpa starts telling a story, and it’s the freaking “i’m is” story…but he explained it… “she was combining the i am into a contraction, and then saying is”…yeah, i know. and then, oddly enough, he followed it up with the mom shitting her pants in the sandbox story. i was shocked, cuz usually, they don’t repeat each other’s stories. of course my grandpa continued on with his own shitting his pants story, when he was little and playing in the alley. he felt it coming on, and ran to his house but was too late, and went in his pants before he got inside, and then since he had shorts on he shook it out of his pants onto the porch and went back to the alley to play. and he followed that one up with the time my grandma shit in HER pants in 2nd grade and the nuns made her go home. yes, this is information i guess i needed to know.
4. we were eating christmas dinner, and eating doesn’t even stop my grandpa from talking, although he will insist he never talks when eating. well carol is sitting next to him and he’s spraying food out of his mouth onto her LOL. so carol says “don’t talk while you’re eating, i just saw the whole meal in your mouth.” LOL. grandpa replies “i never eat with my mouth open” (while food is falling out)
5. well we had perogies (sp?) at dinner, and i guess they were good. i dunno, i don’t eat them. someone asked my grandma where she got them.
grandma: the italian market
grandpa: that’s not where you got them.
grandma: yes it is….
grandpa: goddamn it you didn’t get these at the italian market, emily gave them to us. tell the goddamn story right.
grandma: i WAS…half of them we got from the italian market…
grandpa: tell them the real story, emily brought them over to us.
grandma: half of them are from emily and half are from the italian market.
grandpa: she never tells a goddamn story right. tell the goddamn story the right way….
grandma: i am telling it right, it happened to ME not you
grandpa: that’s not how it happened goddamn it….*tells the story*
yeah….so basically that’s all i can remember about the weekend. oh yeah, then today before we were leaving he made my dad take the garbage out, and my mom was asking him what to do with the newspapers, to put them to the curb or not and he basically had a fit about no you’re not supposed to put the goddamn newspapers out to the curb, leave them in the garage and bring me the bag, and my mom yelled at him that she was just asking, he didnt need to have a fit, and he continued to have his fit….
well anyway…i guess i’m done. my hands are cold, it’s freezing in here too. we did get a bunch of snow but it was highly exaggerated. weather channel said we got 18 inches in NT…we probably have 8. it’s mostly plowed, my car has alot of snow on it actually, no one brushed it off. but whatever.
oh yeah, a weird thing…ok well I think it’s odd….we were crossing the border back into the US in Lewiston, and “bullet the blue sky” had just come on…lol that was the first odd thing…and then the customs guy shines a flashlight in my face…LOL weird thing #2… and only a u2 fan would really understand why that was odd. but yeah. you thought this post was going to be devoid of u2. and we have to pass through hamilton to and from michigan, and i was thinking…god, the best night of my life occured here…in HAMILTON of all places…and in honor of passing through hamilton, i listened to all that you can’t leave behind